We have a proud 142-year history to look back on. Egypt Chapel Baptist
Church was organized by former slaves on April 10, 1880, in the Little Egypt
community which was located off Northwest Highway and Abrams Road, near
White Rock Lake within the city limits of Dallas in Dallas County. The community
began after the Civil War, when the site was deeded to former slaves Jeff and
Hanna Hill. Little Egypt Baptist Church, and the community became known as
Little Egypt because the residents were delivered from bondage, as in the biblical
story. Though Little Egypt was officially within the Dallas city limits, it remained a
distinct community until 1962, when developers bought the thirty to thirty-five
acre tract, which was across the street from Northlake Shopping Center, for retail
development. At this time community residents were served by dirt streets and
lacked running water, electricity, gas, and indoor plumbing. Of the twenty-eight
families who owned land in the community, two-thirds wished to find new homes
close to one another. Since the houses in Little Egypt were dilapidated and some
residents feared the buildings would be condemned, they were in favor of selling
the land. In May 1962 the 200 residents of Little Egypt moved to their new
homes, led by community patriarch William Hill, who was eighty-nine at the time.
Most of the families moved to either the Oak Cliff area or to Rockwall County.
Because of their efforts to make things better we can say “A New Day A New
Way.” We are still carrying the torch from our forefathers with God’s help and
under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Tommy C. McGee and First Lady Alice McGee.